On The Rhoads

A Chronicle of Gabe and Lauren's Journey from Coast to Coast, and beyond...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle to New York, WA to NY, United States

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Italian nuts

So, our Italian phrase book tells me that Amaretto is made from apricot pits, and only tastes like almonds. It turns out that this is a lie. Just ask the internet. While it can be made with apricots, it is often sweetened with almond extract, and can be made from scratch with almonds. I'll learn to be skeptical of my phrase book. So, I've triangulated the word for peanut (as in "no peanuts for me"), as 'arachide.' Elsewise, I may end up telling people that I need to stay away from 'aracini,' or fried rice balls.

2 Comments:

Blogger merrick said...

In spain you shouldn't eat any "cacahuetes"

6:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

in france, pas de noixettes, des chacauettes, des fruit secs.

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home